Don't try this at home. Or in a really large field. Or anywhere.
4th and 5th Grade G/T Math students must either, "test-in" to the program or be placed in the program through a, "Placement Review Process."
Using the Common Core, curriculum is enriched and accelerated up to 2 years beyond grade level. The focus is on patient and creative problem solving and application of math skills. Think of it as diving deeper into the curriculum, not spreading it out.
Beginning in 4th grade, G/T Math eligible students are pulled daily for math instruction by a G/T Resource Teacher. Math classes last approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. G/T Resource Teachers also conduct Curriculum Extension Units (CEUs) within some 2nd and 3rd grade math classrooms during the year.
Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Standard 1: Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Standard 2: Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Standard 3: Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Standard 4: Model with mathematics
- Standard 5: Use appropriate tools strategically
- Standard 6: Attend to precision
- Standard 7: Look for and make use of structure
- Standard 8: Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning